Week 1

Introduction

Hello! My name is Janie, and I’m a student at Rice University pursuing a major in Bioengineering and a minor in engineering design.

Coming into this program, I was really excited to develop electrical prototyping skills. In the spring semester, I had taken a couple of electrical engineering courses, so one of my biggest goals for this program is to apply what I’ve learned to hands-on projects.

Receiving Our Projects!

The first two days we received our project assignments. I had been placed into both Smart Helmet projects. For the “big” project, I am working on team Shelmet with Ben, Chif, and Abubakr to develop a separate device that can communicate with the helmet itself. For the “small” project, I am working on team OneFiftyHertz with Mina to test a prototype created by last year’s SEED interns.

One issue we, OneFiftyHertz, stumbled upon early on is that we don’t have a complete prototype or all the parts to assemble the complete prototype. For the rest of the week, we worked on procuring what parts we could.

As for Shelmet, we interviewed our client to get a better understanding of our goals and started research.

Moving Forward

I’m looking forward to learning a lot of things this summer! See you in the next blog : )