FROM BREAD TO SODA

Can we talk about food? Oh, no.. Lest we may forget we are ringing some decibels in the OEDK. Yes the decibels are ringing, and we hoped that by the end of this week you would get at least one decibel so that you could try to ring it at your home, but we are unable to do so until all the rings arrive safely in the OEDK.  You know things can happen just anyhow; with or without our plan. You can only plan and say that you will be done with the project by the 17th, but you cant be so sure that indeed all the resources that are required will be available; or if there won’t be any changes to the plan.. Never mind my words anyway, maybe it’s because of the hot current in the Electronics Lab that’s making me think this way. When you thought “we will come up with our first final device tomorrow” you then realize there are some things you left out, (maybe it was because you thought they are not as important?).

Ask me about anything that made my weekend awesome, I will tell you nothing but NASA, NASA, and NASA. Thank s be to God who controls times and seasons! You remember that this trip would have been cancelled in case there had been a hurricane or a storm. I don’t know which side of NASA I did not visit. I was extremely happy because it was like a continuation of my “Voyage of discovering the discovered” whose origin is National Air and Space Museum in Washington. Is it necessary to know the destination of this voyage?

At NASA, Houston

NASA got this

One other thing that made my day at NASA was the poster that goes like..

“.. The Must visit places in Houston…”

1. Houston Zoo
          2. Houston Aquarium
          3. Houston Museum of Natural Science
          4. NASA
          5. …… children’s Museum

Yes we haven’t been everywhere, but have managed to visit 4 out of 5 places that are the renowned pride of Houston. And I know Dylan and Magdah could have taken us to the Children’s Museum so that we score 5 out of 5, if we came some 10 years ago, otherwise we are adults now.

Back to business. Since we are not talking about food, don’t be offended when you hear me mention something like bread, or soda. This is about breadboard and/or soldering; you will understand it better when I show you when we meet. If you think you cannot afford to wait that long, you can come next Thursday when we will be doing our project presentations, and perhaps you can have a chance to see breadboard, perfboard, soldering iron, decibels, standoffs and the like.

There goes the breadboard

Here comes Perf-board

Not yet at the end of the Tunnel?

This is the week we thought we would be done with the project.  We are working on finalising our projects. There are a number of changes that have been made to the design of the device, more especially on the layout of the casing, and we hope those changes are final, otherwise too many changes are delaying the execution of our project. As it is, we have transferred the circuitry from a breadboard to perfboard so that we can solder the electronics to the board. If you don’t know what Perfboards are, don’t worry, I will be your tutor for that.

As it is, we are only waiting for standoffs; once they arrive we will get straight into assembling our devices. For the meantime, we are working on the documents that are to be used as user manuals, with notes explaining how to assemble this device, step by step.

I know waiting is painful; but then it is good that you wait so that we release something that is well cooked. I know I owe you stories, pictures, videos,,, but for now allow me to concentrate working on the device so that we can do the rest afterwards.

Kind regards

Clement

One Response

1. Carolyn Huff at |

I will give you an A on imagination used in this blog. With all the mention of food I hope you are not giving up engineering in order be a chef.

I also hope the work on assembling the manual goes well. It can be challenging to clarify to others how to assemble something that is so easy for the author of the instructions to do. You might need feedback from someone not involved with the project to give feedback on assembly while using only the instructions you provide.

Happy cooking!

Reply