Moses’ first experience in the OEDK

Moses Phika

Hi, I’m Moses Phika, electrical and electronics graduate engineer from the University of Malawi, The Polytechnic. Currently, I’m participating in the SEED program at Rice University’s OEDK under Rice 360 Institute for Global Health. This week we’ve  been learning introduction to engineering, the concepts in this module are ushering me into greater heights of engineering design.  It was very exciting to learn part of the USA culture through presentations on culture from students from the Rice university and students from Malawi.

I’m really grateful to be part of the SEED team which i strongly believe that will enhance my personal development.  I had much fun with my team deconstructing some electronic devices. This activity gave us some insights in reverse engineering and how components are assembled together.

The most thrilling part of my first week is the trip to the Houston Zoo where we went to do our project research for hogs. The purpose of the project is to make hogs active during feeding sso that it can stay health. It gives a sense of purpose caring for nature.

I cant wait for more activities of the coming weeks. I’m very hopeful that apart from learning engineering skills, i will also gain more confidence working in a team and improve my communication skills