Me? Nostalgic about the end of SEED? No, never….

Tomorrow will be our last day, and I can’t believe it. It literally feels like yesterday that we were all tossing around a beach ball with questions on it to get to know each other. Now, I don’t think I can remember a time without SEED. As you might be able to tell, I tend to get nostalgic just a little. Okay, maybe a lot. For the past week, I’ve been pointing out all the lasts: the last time we will go to lunch on a Wednesday, the last time we will have a morning meeting on Monday, the last time we make a syringe joke (scratch that, that will never end), and a whole lot of lasts. And now, the last time we will all be sitting in the computer lab writing our blogs.

So now that we got the nostalgia out of the way, for now at least, let me tell you about what we did this week! Since it’s the last week, we obviously were focused on wrapping up the project. One of the main ways did this was by implementing a checks system. It took us basically all of Friday, some of Monday, and lots of trying different combinations out to figure out the best process. Basically, the process will check if the measurements obtained is good enough to move forward to use the syringe. If not, the nurse will remeasure with the lines again. After that, there will be another round of checks. If at that point the syringe is not good enough, the nurse will either be prompted to throw out the syringe or only the lines measurements will be used. If the syringe is good after remeasuring, then the normal process will continue! A little complicated, I know. It honestly still confuses me if I don’t focus well. That’s why we made this nifty flow chart to help guide us through the process!

Flowchart of our checks system

Speaking of flowcharts, I realized this week that flowcharts are amazing. Hands down, amazing. We’ve spent a substantial amount of time making them, and you’d think we would get sick of them by this point. But no, my love for flowcharts has increased and increased. Different shapes, different colors, a world of opportunities. Flowcharts rock. Without them, I honestly think our presentation today would have been a mess. As one wise TA always says, “it’s easy to be good, but it’s hard to show people you are good.” And oh, that has for sure rung true for our team. So we spent a long time making flowcharts and nice slides for the final presentation today. I think it went surprisingly well!

Team S-Caliber after presentations

Our Kasupe all dressed up for presentations with a bowtie!

Now that final presentations are done, it really feels like SEED is coming to an end. It’s definitely sad, as you might have noticed from the absurd amount of nostalgia at the beginning of this blog, but it’s also happy! For the past seven weeks, we learned a lot, laughed a lot, did a lot of great work, and made a lot of great friends. It was a great summer, thanks SEED! And about those syringe jokes, ya they’re never ending.

P.S. The best syringe jokes thus far:

Knock, knock!
Who’s there?
Needle.
Needle who?
Needle a little money!

P.S.S. Last blog, just wanted to remind you of that nostalgic thought. Alright, that’s it…

One Response

1. Carolyn Huff at |

You are consistently positive and resilient. All of your blogs and your presentation Thursday were excellent. Success at SEED is behind you, but you have several more years at Rice to continue to learn, share, and inspire others. Harrell and I look forward to seeing you again and again at OEDK.

Carolyn Huff

Reply