Third week at Houston

Hello,

So my third week at the OEDK was very productive, we finished our research and started to plan how our project would be, to do that we found the thickness of the film (base+emulsion) in an American standard, and to confirm that we used micrometers to measure the thickness. With that information we calculated the volume of emulsion that we need to coat 6ft of film (that length was specified by our client), but the result was 0.3 ml, so something was wrong haha. After that we figured it out that the water in the emulsion would evaporate, so for that we run other experiments to find the ratio of the amount of emulsion that actually would be on the film after drying.

The last experiment that we made was to see how the coating (smoothness, consistency and thickness) would look like with different appliers. All of those tests helped us to come with our design criteria and brainstorming. And an awesome news is that we are achieving our design criteria which is impressive.

We spent a lot of time in the wet lab, which was pretty fun, specially for me haha. And I think that we are going in the right track.

About the weekend, Rebeca’s parents were here so we visited a lot of places and Sunday me and Rebeca did a little (???) walk of almost 2 hours haha to go to Walmart, it was pretty cool because we walked around the neighborhood and did some exercise.

See you guys next week! Thank you.

2 Responses

1. Carolyn Huff at |

Harrell and I enjoyed meeting you and the rest of your team yesterday. It sounds as if you feel good about the progress your team has made.
    After all of your hard work, it is refreshing to learn that you had the energy to tackle a long walk. I would imagine that Walmart, as well as Houston neighborhoods, would be quite interesting, as you see how they differ from and compare with stores and neighborhoods in Brazil.

Reply