RINGING THE DECIBELS…

Did you google what decibels are? Don’t worry about it, just take it as ‘a degree of loudness’. So its all about SOUND SOUND NOISE NOISE..

RINGING THE DECIBELS:

That is the name of our project team. We would like to design, develop and implement  a device that will warn OEDK users when noise or sound gets to some “unsafe” level. In other words, we do not want anyone to suffer hearing loss in the OEDK! The OEDK is a workplace, therefore it must abide by the general practice as outlined by the Occupation, Safety and Health Administration (OSHA)!

So far we have researched, and continue to research on various aspects that might be of help to our project. The topics include, but not limited to; available devices that are used to reduce and control noise, the psychology of colour, ie how humans generally interpret various colours;  vision, ie how far the human eye can see; internet of things, sound level meters, OSHA’s and ADA’s standards or recommendations concerning light, sound and/or noise.

WHAT A GAME!

We had an awesome time, watching an amazing game BASEBALL. We went with our wonderful Professor, Dr Hunder, who is a fun and big supporter of Astros Baseball Team. This was a new game to me, and I was so lucky that I had Dr Hunter and Grant just by my side so I could ask anything about this game. I really enjoyed watching this game, and I’m hopeful we will go to this beautiful stadium again.

At the Stadium, you can make noise the way you want without any warnings! That will not be the case in the OEDK in the near future when we finalise this project. Yea, for now you can call me a Decibel Ringer.

The stadium was really a cool place to spend the evening and relax after a tiresome day… Yes it was a tiresome day; we started to 3-D print the casing for the device, and it took 23 hours! We glued some tape in the basement of the OEDK so as to map some 50 inch by 50 ich quadrants and/or coordinates so  that by the time we start collecting data about sound level (decibel reading), we know where we got that reading. This exercise took longer than we expected. Thanks to the team, we worked till we finished the mapping.

DOUBLE DOUBLE!

And Thursday.. We had SEED lunch together with our professors, I will tell you next week who paid for our lunch. We ate without spending anything!

As if that is not enough, The Huffs visited us! A wonderful couple (Harrell & Carolyn), who are growing younger together, visited us. They came to check on our projects,and  give  some  advice  concerning  the  same.  They  have  promised  they  will  come  again  next  week! So next time  I will  tell  you  more  about  them.

Any plans for the weekend? YES.. All roads are pointing to the Aquarium.

Lets meet there.

Salut!

One Response

1. Carolyn Huff at |

I really enjoyed this blog and its upbeat tone about work and leisure activities. Your verbal skills are amazing with English as a second language.

Harrell and I enjoyed meeting you and hearing about your project. We are glad you are concerned about safety at OEDK and working diligently on a project to insure it.

Reply